Course Reflection on First Semester PowerPoints

Why I Loved The First Week In My Speech and Communications Course

Dear Diary…no I’m just joking around.

To whomever will read this, I would like to express my gratitude for a specific course I am taking as it has taught me a great deal on future accomplishments and how I will handle them. To go into specifics, my Speech and Communications course began with a summarization of our class book via a Powerpoint we had to create. I expected a presentation to be an obvious requirement. It’s a speech class, one is going to have to learn to speak to an audience in a speech and communications class. The good thing about this class is that after completing it, a good majority of students will have gathered a nice chunk of information for the obligatory speeches they must make throughout it. It is nice practice and important for those who wish to speak their mind.

Say there’s a sales project you must present to buyers in a few weeks, and your company team is counting on you for a solid deliverance. A good knowledge of what triggers audience attention and understanding, with do you good in that moment. Wouldn’t it? We are all here to learn, thus the presentations. Detailed summaries on the first few chapters of our class book, will require participation. Unlike some classrooms, I appreciate the consideration for lazy students. I’m familiar with lazy students as I probably am the most lethargic student I know. Deadlines, attendance, projects, interaction, and other forms of class participation motivate those slacker students (like me) to put their batteries on and learn.

For this recent Presentation, we were assigned a chapter in which we would study. Later we would assign a section to each member of our given group and summarize key points within those assigned sections. Finally, we then had to present our portion of the chapter to the class, no matter your public speaking anxiety, or fear of forgetfulness and failure. It had to be done, and I loved it.

Studies have shown that the usage of technology itself is already a motivational tool in the education system. It was proposed that the usage of form rather than the form itself is what needed to be modified. In this case, Microsoft PowerPoint presentations was more effective at grabbing students’ attention and encourage participation, than a textbook or lecture.  

Fifty-six female students at a secondary school in Lar were the subjects of this study. The subjects were split into two groups, (Experimental and Control). Each group was taught separately, one by using technology in class (e.g; video-projector, power-point, …), the other through a traditional method such as textbooks.CALICO Journal 24 (3)

The Results showed through the students test scores from the beginning of the experiment towards the end. The initial test had students average out around the same score, but as testing progressed the students exposed to PowerPoint presentations and other platforms, exceeded the attitudes of the students learning in the traditional manner. Below is a Table of results from the study. 

Personally, I would like to think that presentations have always been my strong suit, or forte when needing to complete a project. Having been able to start off this semester’s first project with a visual speech, motivates me for future endeavors. Referencing back to the experiments, not only does the use of technology assist professors in enticing their students, but it also allows for their personal collaboration and effort to be creative. Speaking about a matter, while allowing creative attempts to be in place, allows for the instructors increased participation.

When assigned my Chapter section, I had to read my paragraphs continuously. To the point in which I was as familiar with it, as I am to the back of my hand. That is because, when rewriting my analysis of the chapter’s information, I had to go back and forth, rechecking my wording and my accuracy on the topic. I noticed that my efforts were being met through the collaboration of my teammates. All of which did a wonderful job at delivering the information.

My team consisted of a wonderfully cooperative group of students, led by an incredibly helpful and assisting leader. We were appointed Chapter three in our textbook to present. It covers, Intercultural Communications, and its significance when meeting different cultures around the world. Our punctuational presentation skills I feel were lacking due to jitters and audience anxiety. Other than these tiny flaws, we were rewarded perfect compliments by our professor that ensured our preeminence on the topic. We had exceeded our own expectations and virtually patted ourselves on the back right after in congratulations. 

Being the first group of students to present, I had to take notes throughout the entirety of the remaining chapters other students had to present. I took note of some presenting skills to personally learn from, how people covered their topics, why they used specific images to further explain their knowledge of the information, and their actual knowledge of the information. It was all something to take mention of especially when you’re expected to deliver just as well.

The following group, Group 2 consisting of eleven students, presented Chapter nine ‘Communication In Groups’. What I spotted throughout the presentation was the use of word preparation before the presentation, including images and short displayed descriptions along with information outside the presentations, all to secure their point in that one slide. I personally do this to not overcrowd my slides with the information I will be lecturing on anyway. Something else I noticed is the manner in which some students spoke, which tempted listeners to want to continue engaging in their topic. Their information seemed to be accurate, and it allowed students to learn about what they wished to convey. Their PowerPoint presentation was set with information on teamwork, virtual groups, how to be a healthy and non-toxic group, accountability or conflict in groups, and the development of the said group.  Overall, their presentation was spectacularly carried, and was paid multiple compliments by the professor.

The group encompassing the following chapter, Chapter 10, laid out a reliable presentation. Their chapter was titled ‘Group Leadership and Problem Solving’ They covered the roles of a leader within a group, the tasks the leaders must assign, maintaining the productivity within a group, the types of group leaders and what their categorized under, and tips on how to be an excelling leader.  The group’s presentation was straight to the point and well-spoken, leaving the viewers to understand their points and follow along. They lastly went over the group problems and solutions within the chapter, types of formals, then the dynamics and presentations a group must face.

What I realized throughout notetaking, is while being in groups with our own leaders and problems to face, we are literally experiencing everything were covering. Being placed in groups has allowed us to experience the responsibilities of group members in real word scenarios. How it’s like having a leader, situations that need to be fixed, dependency and trust in other partners, and a mean to please a specific audience. All whilst practicing our communication and speech skills throughout the course. I, unfortunately, was not able to attend the first lecture of my course, but if this was explained before being sent off into groups, I apologize for me not being up to date and weirdly starstruck by the good use of a class. I commend the professor for thinking of such an amazing method of class learning.

 

Thank you,

Camila Bogani


Citation:

(PDF) The Impact of Using PowerPoint Presentations on Students’ Learning and Motivation in Secondary Schools (researchgate.net)

Can PowerPoint Presentations Effectively Replace Textbooks and Blackboards for Teaching Grammar? Do Students Find Them an Effective Learning Tool? on JSTOR

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Camila Bogani

Professor Sinkoff

Speech and Communications Blog report

September 21, 2022


Comments

  1. I enjoyed reading this blog very much.. the was it was written has personality!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 3, 9 & 10

Chapters 3, 9, &10

Chapters 3, 9, and , 10 Sarah Moya